Saturday, September 25, 2010

Kilimanjaro

These are my bird pictures from my trip to Kilimanjaro. Since I was careful not to leave my group while walking I had limited opportunities to photograph birds. Most of the ones you see here are those that visited our campsites.

120. Alpine Chat or Moorland Chat or Hill Chat (Cercomela sordida)
Bold bird that scavenged in the camps and seemed very accustomed to human presence.
Day2 - AlpineChat

121. Streaky Seedeater (Serinus striolatus)
Another cheerful bird that made our camps very lively.
Day2 - UnknownBird

122. White-necked Raven (Corvus albicollis)
Curiously several of the crow/ravens in Africa have some white coloration like this one.
Day2 - WhiteNeckedRaven

123. Dusky Turtle-dove (Streptopelia lugens)
Another frequent visitor to our camps. This photo was taken at the Karanga camp at over 4200m.
Day 4 - Dusky Turtle Dove

124. Scarlet-tufted Sunbird (Anthreptes fraseri)
This was taken at the Barranco camp.
Day3 - Malachite Sunbird

125. Hartlaub's Turaco (Tauraco hartlaubi)
Spotted this in the rain-forest region on the way down from Kilimanjaro. The noise in the pic is due to the high ISO I had to use under the dark foliage.
Day7 - Hartlaubs Turaco

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deepak,
    Your pictures are awesome! I'm also into bird photography, but still very much a novice. I'm thinking about bringing photo gears on a Kilimanjaro trip in September but I'm not sure about bird photo opportunities. Which lens did you use on the mountain? Did you carry it in your backpack? Cheers, Nusy. nramamonj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete