Monday, September 14, 2009

Anejhari

Anejhari is a forest lodge near Kollur in Shimoga district and fast becoming one of my favorite places in the world. More about the trip on my other blog. Here are the birds I spotted and photographed.

First the ones I'm proud of.
21. Malabar/Southern Trogon (Harpactes fasciatus)
This beauty teased and tormented. It kept changing its perch before I could train my lens on it. The dark foliage made it really difficult to take a good shot without blurring the picture. Before I got this shot I was out of breath and had 2 long thorns embedded in my calf muscle.


22.Crested Serpent Eagle (Spilornis cheela)
Spotted this one while driving near Sagar. Had to run hundreds of meters through paddy fields to get close to this guy. The picture is blurred but the beast is magnificient.
(Replaced by a picture from Bandhavgarh)




The next bunch of low-resolution pictures of waders and friends came from two gorgeous lotus ponds on the way back from Anejhari.

23. Red-wattled Lapwing (Vanellus indicus)
I'm not exactly proud of this pic. I'm determined to replace it with a better one.


24. Purple Swamphen (Poryphyrio poryphyrio)
(Replaced by a picture taken in Bharatpur in 2015)



25. Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)


26. Lesser Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna javanica)
Replaced on 12-Jan by a pic I shot in Sri Lanka
_MG_4336

Check out the hatchlings barely visible in the grass.


27. Cotton Pygmy Goose (Nettapus coromandelianus)


28. Little Cormorant (Phalacrocorax niger)


29. Common Coot (Fulica atra)
(Replaced by a picture taken in Bharatpur in 2015)


30. Bronze Winged Jacana (Metopedius indicus)
This long-clawed male was boucing around from one lotus leaf to the other. I had to click nearly 50 times to get this half-decent snap.


...and finally
31. Spotted Dove (Streptopilia chinensis)
I'm using up yet another "joker card" here, but the temptation to keep the counter ticking is too strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment